This week’s inquiry is going to be all about wedding cake! Yum! My fiancé and I recently brought up the topic of wedding cakes and were going back and fourth about what flavour to do, or to even do cupcakes with various flavours.

Some cake flavour ideas we have brainstormed:

-Chocolate on chocolate, and more chocolate!

-Lemon cream with vanilla icing and raspberry filling

-Vanilla with strawberry buttercream

-Red velvet cupcakes

-Earl grey with vanilla

I am so excited to be able to do a tasting with my other half on all different kinds of cake flavours. The food and dessert part of wedding planning is probably my favourite part of this journey. I am a big foodie and have a major sweet tooth so I want the food and dessert portion of the wedding to be unreal for everyone!

I loved this video series this influencer created on wedding cake tasting! I thought it was so cute and fun and gave me so many inspiring ideas on what to do for a dessert on our big day! I love watching other brides give their input on tastes, flavours, and ideas. For example, in this video Pia mentions how having a dessert table with other treats excluding cake could be a great idea for people who have allergies, etc.

I found these images of some wedding cakes that I love the look of! I love the incorporation of natural elements such as eucalyptus, florals, and berries. I definitely want to have my cake be white, with natural pops of colour.

I also found this blog website that enlists fourteen essential wedding cake tips when picking the perfect cake. This website brought up a lot of really important points that I wouldn’t have thought about prior to picking a cake. For example, the blog mentions that wedding cakes are often priced by slice, which I had no idea about! “The cost varies, but generally ranges from $1.50 to $15 per slice (though this is a very general and loose estimate). The more complicated the cake (based on intricate decorations or hard-to-find fillings), the higher the price tag. Fondant icing is more expensive than buttercream, and if you want elaborate molded shapes, vibrant colours, or handmade sugar-flower detailing, you’ll pay for the cake designer’s labor. (For the record, the average amount couples spend on their wedding cake, according to our Real Weddings Study, is $540.)” (The Knot, 2019).

The Knot Blog also mentioned that you have to consider how hot the weather will be! I TOTALLY did not consider this.. they mentioned that “If you’re having an outdoor wedding in a hot climate, stay away from whipped cream, meringue and buttercream: They melt. Ask your baker about summer icing options; you might want to go for a fondant-covered cake—it doesn’t even need to be refrigerated.” (The Knot, 2019).

Stay tuned for what cake flavour(s) I finally decide to go with..

Thanks for listening!

Megan